POMONA, Calif. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team pulled off a thrilling upset over No. 7 Bowdoin College Thursday, downing the Polar Bears 5-4 in a match that took two days to complete.
After going down by a score of 2-1 after doubles play Wednesday, rain forced the match to be postponed to Thursday afternoon. The No. 10 Maroons (10-2) capitalized on the break, winning four of six singles matches to capture the victory.
First-year Claire Handa led off by winning her No. 1 match in straight sets, and second-year Marjorie Antohi followed with a win at No. 2, winning 7-5, 6-3. First-year Catherine Xu added another straight-set win at No. 3 singles and sophomore Laura Gutierrez battled in a three-set victory at No. 5 to capture the match's clinching point.
"It's hard to put into words just how proud I am of the team for the way they competed against Bowdoin," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "The entire team fought so hard for each other and kept believing in themselves and their teammates.
"We made a point before the match started today that we were going to give a championship effort for every point we played and we came out and executed that plan and the results followed. We're going to enjoy this one for a few hours and then get prepared for a very good Williams team (Friday) morning."
- Friday, March 22: #10 UChicago vs. #2 Williams, 9 AM PT (at Claremont, Calif.)
#10 UCHICAGO 5, #7 BOWDOIN 4
1. Claire Handa (UC) def. Tess Trinka, 6-4, 6-3.
2. Marjorie Anthohi (UC) def. Tasha Christ, 7-5, 6-3.
3. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Rachel Bercovitch, 6-3, 6-1.
4. Izzy Essi (B) def. Alyssa Rudin, 6-3, 6-4.
5. Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Viv Daniel, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
6. Sasa Jovanovic (B) def. Daryn Ellison, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.
1. Trinka/Essi (B) def. Antohi/Handa, 9-7.
2. Daniel/Bercovitch (B) def. Xu/Ellison, 8-6.
3. Rudin/Gutierrez (UC) def. Christ/Maddie Rolph, 8-4.