CLAREMONT, Calif. – Making its eighth appearance in the NCAA Division III Championship Quarterfinals, the University of Chicago women's tennis team concluded another stellar season with Monday's 5-1 setback to top-ranked Emory University.
The Maroons (19-5) – who qualified for their 10th-straight NCAA tournament – picked up a win at No. 1 doubles to open the match against the University Athletic Association Eagles (16-4), who took a 2-1 lead heading into singles play at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
Anthohi went on to win her first set of No. 2 singles over Emory's Bridget Harding – the UAA Player of the Year – and first-year Catherine Xu took her first set at No. 3 singles, winning 6-1 before the match was called at decision.
Maroons' first-year Claire Handa also had momentum building in her second set at No. 1 singles, as she responded from a 6-1 opening set loss to take a 4-3 lead over UAA Rookie of the Year Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico.
"It's always tough to lose our last match, but there's so much to be proud of in both today's match and this year as a whole," UChicago Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We grew as a team and had a ton of great matches and special moments. We have our entire team back next year, plus, we're adding six new players -- the future is very bright."
Emory advances to Tuesday's semifinals with the win, where the Eagles will take on the winner of Monday night's Wesleyan and Middlebury contest.
Handa and Antohi's seasons continue later this week, as both have qualified for the NCAA Division III Individual and Doubles Championships, which begin Thursday in Claremont.
NCAA Division III Quarterfinals
At Biszantz Family Tennis Center (Claremont, Calif.)
#1 Emory 5, #10 UChicago 1
1. Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico (EUW) vs. Handa, Claire (UCW) 6-1, 3-4, unfinished
2. Bridget Harding (EUW) vs. Antohi, Marjorie (UCW) 2-6, 6-4, unfinished
3. Daniela Lopez (EUW) vs. Xu, Catherine (UCW) 1-6, 4-3, unfinished
4. Defne Olcay (EUW) def. Navarro, Estefania (UCW) 6-2, 6-0
5. Stephanie Taylor (EUW) def. Rudin, Alyssa (UCW) 6-2, 6-0
6. Emma Perelman (EUW) def. Gutierrez, Laura (UCW) 6-1, 6-2
1. Antohi, Marjorie/Handa, Claire (UCW) def. Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico/Bridget Harding (EUW) 9-7
2. Anna Fuhr/Stephanie Taylor (EUW) def. Ellison, Daryn/Xu, Catherine (UCW) 8-4
3. Katie Chang/Daniela Lopez (EUW) def. Navarro, Estefania/Rudin, Alyssa (UCW) 8-2