WHITEWATER, Wis. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team began NCAA postseason play with a 5-1 win against Carleton College on Friday afternoon.
The No. 1-ranked Maroons improved to 19-1. The Knights concluded their season at 16-2.
UChicago received a first-round bye in the NCAA Division III Championship bracket and took on Carleton in Friday's second round. With some changes made to their doubles lineup, the Maroons emerged with a 2-1 lead. First-year Sylwia Mikos and junior Perene Wang rolled at No. 2 with an 8-1 victory, while first-year Nicole Geller and senior Lauren Park were similarly dominant at No. 3 with an 8-2 score.
Needing three singles wins to advance to the next round, UChicago made quick work of it by snagging the fourth, fifth and sixth positions. First-year Miranda Yuan (No. 4) won by scores of 6-2, 6-1; Park claimed No. 5 by a 6-2, 6-2 margin; and senior Annika Pandey nearly recorded a shutout at No. 6 (6-1, 6-0).
The Maroons ran their record to 12-0 all-time in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
UChicago 5, Carleton 1
1. Sylwia Mikos (UC) vs. Mary Frances Hose (CAR) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
2. Claudia Ng (UC) vs. Amelia Asfaw (CAR) 2-6, 2-3, unfinished
3. Nicole Geller (UC) vs. Mariam Nechiporuk (CAR) 6-5, unfinished
4. Miranda Yuan (UC) def. Ingrid Smith (CAR) 6-2, 6-1
5. Lauren Park (UC) def. Miriam Shteyman (CAR) 6-2, 6-2
6. Annika Pandey (UC) def. Amanda Black (CAR) 6-1, 6-0
1. Amelia Asfaw/Mary Frances Hose (CAR) def. Eugenia Lee/Claudia Ng (UC) 8-3
2. Sylwia Mikos/Perene Wang (UC) def. Ingrid Smith/Mariam Nechiporuk (CAR) 8-1
3. Nicole Geller/Lauren Park (UC) def. Taylor Thulson/Amanda Black (CAR) 8-2
- Saturday, May 14 @ 11:00 AM – UChicago vs. Grinnell College (at Whitewater, Wis.)